Every Month the moon appears to grow from a tiny sliver of light to a bright silver globe. As it waxes and wanes, so does it's magical power.
The magic properties of moonlight are extremely powerful, but they change throughout the month. The moon is most powerful when it is full: this is a perfect time to charge crystals and charms, pick magical herbs and start new ventures.
Waxing and Waning
There are four main phases of the moon: the new moon, when only a tiny sliver can be seen; the waxing moon, when the crescent increases; the full moon, when the whole circle is visible; the waning moon, when it diminishes again. There is also a fifth phase called the dark or new moon when the moon cannot be seen at all. Each aspect governs a different kind of magic and influences the spells that should be performed during this period. Try synchronizing your spells and rituals if you can to harness and strengthen you magic energies.
- Gods and Goddesses of the Moon
- Diana - Roman goddess of the crescent moon. Wash your hair in the light of the waxing moon and Diana will grant you lustrous locks.
- Freyja - Norse moon goddess of prophecy. Pray to Freyja before you sleep and you will dream of the future.
- Hecate - Queen of the dark moon in ancient Greece. If you give to charity during the waning moon, Hecate will make you wise.
- Isis - Egyptian goddess queen. Moon phases are depicted on her headdress.
- Khensu - Egyptian god of the moon. he rules the tides of the river Nile.
- Luna - Roman goddess of the moon
- Selene - Greek diva goddess of the full moon who enchants men. Hang a white, red or silver dress outside in the moonlight and wear to be irresistible.
- Yemanja - Brazilian goddess. When Venus appears inside her crescent , it's time for romance.
The moon is usually worshiped as a goddess taking on the female aspect of the male sun god.
Guide to the Moon Phases
New Moon - When the crescent moon is visible (horns facing left) it is time to begin new ventures and start new projects. Trim your hair and it will grow longer. Light a white candle and make a wish for the month. Move to a new house start a new job or begin a new relationship. Begin exercise regime or healthy eating plan now.
Waxing Moon - Focus on creative magic during this phase. Perform spells for health, wealth or love. Think positively during this phase and your confidence will grow with the moon. affirmations will encourage a positive attitude. Stand in front of a mirror every morning and say "I am a creative confident person." You may feel silly but it will work.
Full Moon - When full, the moon is at it's height of its energy and power. This is the phase most associated with magic. Concentrate on magic, spells and wishes emphasizing fulfillment, such as taking exams or completing a task. This is and excellent time to perform love spells. Spells for success are also best cast under a full moon.
Waning Moon - As the moon decreases, it is the ideal time to focus on what you would like to disappear from your life. Perform magic to diminish debts, lessen your anxiety, to make illness shrink away or put off unwanted admirer. Visualize all your problems gradually decreasing. It is good fortune to give others during this phase.
Dark/ New Moon - As the moon shrinks to nothing and turns its face away from the world, you will be wise to follow its example. Replenish your inner resources by withdrawing and looking inward. Practice yoga or meditation rather than acts of magic at this time unless absolutely need be or just work very minimal everyday magic. Evaluate what you want. but take no action until the next new moon or corresponding phase.
Once in a Blue Moon...
The complete sequence of moon phases from new to full takes lil over 29 days, so there are 12 full moon in most years and 13 in others. approximately once every 2 1/2 years 2 full moons fall within a single calendar month. The second of the full moons in known as a Blue Moon and magic performed under it is twice as strong.
Your Moon charm
You can imbue a charm crystal or even herbs with the power of the full moon.
- Place your chosen object in the moonlight and let it absorb the mystical rays.
- To charge the object for the first time, bury it on the night of the full moon and wait for a month.
- During its waning phase will cleanse the buried charm.
- During the waxing phase the moon will bless the charm with lunar energy.
- Collect the charm on the next full moon and bow three times in thanks.
- Wash the charm in moon water by leaving a glass of water in the moonlight.
Silver objects such as coins or crystals do the best with moon charms.