Understanding moon magic and phases pt1 of 2
The moon has been worshiped for centuries. Its power effect on the nature world is seen as proof of its magical power.
The moon is more than just a light in the night sky. It affects weather patterns, creates tides and influences earthquakes. Ancient astronomers were quick to pick up on the phases of the moon as an indication of cyclic properties of nature, and many attributed magical powers to it.
Menstruation and the Moon
Wiccans (modern witches) and pagans worship the moon as a goddess with three faces, - Maiden, Mother, Crone, symbolizing the waxing, full and waning phases of the lunar cycle. Each phase governs the different types of spells that should be performed during it.
Women are especially attuned to the moon and its phases also affect fertility. A lunar month is about 28 days long, the same length as the average menstrual cycle.
Moon Madness (facts and tidbits about the full moon)
- Traditions across the world link Moon with madness and transformation. As the human body is 80% water we are also under her spell.
- More people suffer mental illness during a full moon. "Lunatic"- from "luna", the Latin word for moon - describes someone who is moonstruck.
- The legend of the werewolf was reported in itally as recently as 50 years ago. A condition called lycanthropy, were sufferers develop inhuman strength during the full moon is thought to be responsible.
- The crime rate rises, more accidents happen, and a higher number of people are hospitalized when the Moon is full
Moon Magic throughout the year
Certain spells work better during specific times of the year. the following list, based around the 13 "tree Months" of the Celtic calendar, show when your spells have the most power.
- Birch Moon (dec 24 - jan 20) - At the beginning of the year, concentrate on new beginnings. Ask for general luck in whatever the coming year brings and focus on what you want to achieve.
- Rowan Moon (jan 21-feb 17) - Focus on how to go about getting your goals. Spells involving communication and psychic connection work well at this time.
- Ash Moon (Feb 18-mar 17) - Love spells and loved ones should be foremost in our minds in early spring. It's no coincidence that valentine's day falls close to this month.
- Alder Moon (mar 18- apr 14) - Spells to aid success in your business and academic ventures work well at this time of year. Sow seeds of your success now.
- Willow Moon (apr 15 - may 12) - Focus on bringing someone round to your way of thinking. Attract love or a new job or aim to make good first impressions.
- Hawthorn Moon (may13 - jun 9) - Focus on keeping a barrier between yourself and things you don't want. Aim to push away old problems or lingering irritation.
- Oak Moon (jun 10 - jul 7) - Growth and fertility spells work best at this time of the year. Focus on building and consolidating your wisdom, endurance and security.
- Holly Moon (jul 8 - aug 4) - As the days shorten after the summer solstice and the moon grows in power, focus on putting bad situations behind you.
- Hazel Moon (aug 5 - sept 1) - This is the best time of the year to focus on gaining wisdom and absorbing knowledge. Cast spells to heighten your senses and concentration.
- Vine Moon (spet 2 - Sep 29) - Never give up hope that you will succeed in your endeavors. This is a good time to reap the rewards of your hard work.
- Ivy Moon (sep 30 - oct 27) - As winter months draw in, you'll need to improve your resilience and tenacity. Spells for good health are advised at this time of the year.
- Red Moon (oct 28 - nov 24) - In the depths of winter you need to recharge. As you tend to stay indoors a lot during the cold season, this is a good time to both focus on and bless your home.
- Elder Moon (nov 25 - Dec 23) - The last full moon of the year represents completeness. Cast spells dealing with closure and take stock of what you have achieved.